Friday 6 May 2011

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside!

The wetsuit has finally had its Christening, and it held up very well in the North Sea! My beloved has decided that I need to try the wetsuit and make sure that it moved well, had no holes, wasn't uncomfortable... you get the idea. The way he decided to do this was to take me to Scarborough, give me a body board, and let me loose on the waves. Needless to say that he was comfy and cosy in his winter wetsuit complete with gloves and a snazzy hood to keep his face and head protected from the cold, cold waters. On the other hand, there I was flapping about, being bundled by the waves in my 3mm thick, little, girly attempt at a wetsuit. I got out of the water after an hour.

The upside of this is that I now know the suit fits, I can swim in it (If I can get by in the North Sea in April, then the Palace lake in June will be no issue - fewer waves, mad seagulls, seaweed...) and I can cope with the inevitable splashing around that I will have to face in June. One thing ticked off the list. Front crawl will be a problem though as the wetsuit restrict my movement and I also cannot see where I'm going when I do front crawl, ending up travelling on a diagonal course. There must be a gadget to help me with this, surely?!

I have also gone more public with the fundraising efforts, trying to get those at work involved in the efforts. We plan a cake sale in a few weeks and in the meantime many generous people are offering me money. I hope they are doing this for the right reasons and not just because they want to pay me to be in pain. Time will tell!

On Tuesday I plan to cycle the 9 miles in to work - and, of course, back again - to see what it is like. Last night I did the cycle and then the run straight afterwards. I am still alive to type this, although I admit at one point on the run I stopped and said out loud "I can't be bothered with this.", realised I must sound like a mental, and jogged on in a sprightly fashion. Other than that, and the obvious pain associated with my wetsuit's christening, the training is going well and I remain confident that I shall make it round the course without looking like too much of a fool.

And another positive is how open people continue to be about the charities I am raising money for and their own experiences with Breast Cancer and Leukaemia. One lady said to me that she thinks people 'forget how important charity is, until they need it' and this really went home to me. I know that support for sufferers and their families is desperately needed, and I hope that what I am doing will go a little way to reminding people how important charity is.

PLEASE SPONSOR ME!
Breakthrough Breast Cancer www.justgiving.com/Catherine-Yates
Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research www.justgiving.com/Catherine-Yates0

No comments:

Post a Comment